Monday, October 1, 2012

MusicalSwerve Exclusive: Get to know the Lovely Lolah Brown


Cleveland, Ohio: With our latest MusicalSwerve Interview Exclusive, I bring a songstress who is on the verge of breaking and becoming a household name. It is my pleasure to introduce you to the lovely Lolah Brown. Lolah, who has toured with John Legend, is one of those female artists that are hard to find. She has a very mature sound which can be beneficial or go against you and for Lolah the benefits keep rolling in. With the release of her latest project 'Black Lily' Lolah received a nomination for Album of the Year at the Ohio Hip Hop Awards, as well as a nomination for Best Female Vocalist and Best Video. Please stop wasting your time and Get Hip to Cleveland's own Lolah Brown. 


1.Who is Lolah Brown? What brought you to this point?
First and foremost, I'm a mother, a lover, a confidant, and a friend. I guess that's why my music has a more "mature" sound because it’s a direct reflection of who I am as a person. And last but not least, I’m a singer, but of course you know that because you’ve heard my album Black Lily! lol

2.Who are your influences?
Musically I've been influenced by quite a few. The artists that stand out the most are Beyonce, Brandy, Sade, Jill Scott, Tweet, and Erykah Badu, just to name a few. I don't just listen to one genre of music, but I tend to gravitate to a more soulful sound.

3. You've been able to tour different parts of the world, whats that like?
Being on the road is probably one of the most amazing experiences of my life. You get to travel to different cities and states almost every day. Going over seas, seeing all these places I may have never had the opportunity to see, all while doing what I absolutely love to do. Traveling with amazing artists who are respected and spectacular at what they do in a place where I ultimately aspire to be, it's great!

4. You've recently been nominated for OHHA Album of The Year, Whats that like?
The OHHA nomination is incredible. I wasn't expecting it at all, let alone 3 nominations! Best Album of the Year, Best Female Vocalist, AND Best Video. It's all kind of surreal. I really appreciate all of the feedback I've gotten from the album. It really means a lot to me that so many people are able to feel my music, appreciate it and connect with the vision. So Thank You to all of my supporters!

5. Whats your personal favorite record on the album?
I have a few favorites, but I think “My Everything” has to be my favorite favorite because it’s about my son and I love him so much. He's one of the people who inspired me to record the album, along with a couple other accomplishments I've achieved over the years. He motivates me. Changed my whole life, my perspective, gives me purpose, and a reason to live so everyone thank him for the album! lol

6.Favorite show ever done?
Honestly, I think my favorite show so far is the Columbus Connect show I did a couple weeks ago. It was held on the rooftop of Callahans in Columbus, OH. Great vibe, great energy, and lots of love! Overall, it was a great show and I had an amazing time. I enjoyed Columbus a lot!

7. Favorite lyrics ever written?
I think "Do You Know”. I started off with a totally different melody and lyrics on the verse than what you hear now. But I stopped, went and did some research, studied some Cold Play, came back to it, and started with "Lost in the wind you blew me off"...I like that line, I think its clever.

  8. Whats next for Lolah?
Lolah Brown is still writing, recording, and still pushing the album ‘Black Lily.’ Make sure you go download it at lolahbrown.com (shameless plug lol) I'll also be back out on tour this fall with John Legend, so while out I’m going to try and connect with some fans in the cities that we're in. Definitely excited about that!

9. Any collabs coming up the people should know about?
Well I have the collab with Jerreau of Fly Union on the album, "Maybe", which is my new single. So definitely be on the look out for that as well as the visuals. I also did a song with Chase N Cashe that’s coming out on his new album Charm, so definitely be on the look out for that as well.

10. Where can we find more Lolah Brown?
 You can find out more at LolahBrown.com, of course twitter @LolahBrown, my tumblr: lolahbrown.tumblr.com as well as facebook: facebook.com/lolahbrown. Connect with me on any of those social networks for all updates!